JACK radio brand more than doubles its audience in the last year
- The JACK Radio brand has once again secured its highest ever reach for the total business, more than doubling its audience Y/Y to 405,000 (from 201,000);
- Combined hours across the JACK Radio brand have also increased Y/Y to 1,712,000 hours (from 904,000), while Q/Q figures also demonstrate an increase in reach from 394,000 (to 405,000);
- JACK National (Union JACK and JACK Radio) sees reach increase Q/Q and Y/Y to 313,000, gaining 130,000 new listeners in the past year;
- JACK Local announces another strong quarter, with combined regional reach increasing to 88,000 (from 83,000) and hours up to 488,000 (from 441,000), while JACKfm grows reach Q/Q and Y/Y (to 68,000);
- Growth comes as JACK brand is shortlisted for multiple awards at The Radio Academy’s ARIAS 2020, including Union JACK Radio for National Station of the Year.
The JACK Radio Brand continues to demonstrate success as one of the last remaining independent groups on the British radio landscape, seeing its total reach more than double in the last year and securing for the business its largest audience to date as confirmed by the latest RAJAR* results. The Group, comprising of two national and three regional radio stations, now reaches an audience of 405,000 (from 201,000), while its listening hours have also increased year-on-year to 1,712,000 (from 904,000).
Its national portfolio – Union JACK Radio and JACK Radio – has seen its reach increase year-on-year and quarter-on-quarter (to 313,000), whilst both national stations also see good individual growth year-on-year, with Union JACK Radio now reaching 179,000 (from 153,000) and JACK Radio reaching 144,000 (up from 32,000 in what is the station’s first ever year-on-year results). Union JACK has continued to build on its comedy credentials in recent months, commissioning another series of the popular interview series Geoff Lloyd’s Hometown Glory, and investing in sponsorships including Leicester Comedy Festival, which is being brought to life for listeners this month through a series of live and entertaining programming initiatives. JACK Radio has also continued to develop its unique proposition of unique, lifestyle-focused content, with talent including Absolutely Fabulous’s Helen Lederer and world-renowned Sex Expert Tracey Cox both featuring on the station’s recent schedule.
In Oxfordshire, JACKfm has grown quarter-on-quarter and year-on-year, now reaching a local audience of 68,000 (up from 64,000 last quarter and 52,000 last year) and contributing to a strong set of figures for JACK Local – consisting of JACKfm, JACK2 Hits and JACK3 Chill – which has increased its combined audience quarter-on-quarter to 88,000 (from 83,000).
JACK CEO Ian Walker said: “We are really proud to have more than doubled our audience across the JACK Radio brand in just a year and we hope to continue on this upward trajectory. We have some really exciting and ambitious plans in place across our stations for the next year and which will allow us to continue to take our unique and engaging propositions to new audiences who may not already be familiar with us.”
The unprecedented success of what is one of the last remaining independent radio groups in the UK has not gone unnoticed by the industry either, with the JACK brand being shortlisted for multiple awards at The Radio Academy’s ARIAS 2020. Union JACK Radio has been shortlisted for the prestigious ‘National Station of the Year’ award, an incredible feat just three years since launch, while JACK’s Morning Glory, JACKfm’s flagship Breakfast Show hosted by Trev and Rich, has been shortlisted for ‘Best Local Radio Show’, and JACKfm’s News Team has been shortlisted for ‘Best News Coverage’.